Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Nature Trail




There is a two mile nature trail in our "city". It is behind the mall. Really. Half of it is on land and the other half is on this bridge walkway over the water. If you're quiet you can see lots of wildlife, like this heron. Even if you're not quiet you can see lots of trash.

It amazes me how up in arms we all are about the oil spill ruining the coast, but people continue to litter and destroy the environment themselves. Part of the reason I wanted to highlight areas around where I live is to help me like it more. Most of the time I feel like I live in Redneck Central Station. What with deer hanging from trees (in season), 4-wheelers and Confederate flags every which way you look, and accents so thick you can cut them with a knife I usually feel out of place here. So I want to go out of my way to find the "jewels" that are here to remind me that it isn't all bad.

This nature trail is nice, but the trash that is overwhelming it is pretty much par for the course where we live. It sums up the attitude of most of the population: I don't give a damn about anything but me. I won't even start on how that attitude is reflected in the driving.

Enjoy the pictures. This is probably the prettiest place we've lived.

No comments: