Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Testing

A picture of my practically perfect crape myrtle tree. And now what's on my mind.

This post probably won't interest most people, but I think it's important. I ran across this article on Yahoo about testing. I think that there should be uniformity among states not only for the high school graduation test, but for all the other standardized testing starting in 3rd grade.

As someone who has moved from state to state, I speak from experience. It is hard to know how to compare schools when you are moving to a new area. One thing we do is check out school testing scores. I know that that's not always a good indicator of how good a school is, but it's where we start. We also visit and talk to people at the schools. Being a teacher, I am probably more picky about choosing my own kids' schools. We do go to public schools.

Another reason that I think that the states should give the same test is so we know that no matter where a child goes to school in this country, they are learning basically the same things. This does not mean that we need to "dumb down" the curriculum to cover everyone. I think it means that we need to raise the educational standards in many states.

I know there are those who believe that it is the states' right to choose what they teach the students in their state. However, are those students going to go to college out-of-state? Might they possibly seek employment in another state? Isn't it to the students' benefit to meet the highest possible standards?

Having said all that, let me add that I hate the idea of testing in the first place. Most teaching is done to the test, no matter what is said publicly. That test is the most important thing to most schools, if not all schools. The way the educational system is set up now I don't see that changing anytime soon. It is a shame.

One of the reasons I like teaching younger grades-- besides they are just so much fun!-- is that we don't have the required testing. We do have to start prepping the students on how to take the test--filling in bubbles, answering essays inside the boxes, etc. But there is more emphasis on actually learning and not just on learning the test.

As a parent I work with my kids to do their best during the testing periods, because I know that it is important to the schools. Let me clarify how I "help" them so you don't think I'm sitting around quizzing them nightly: I make sure they get a good night's sleep and give them Toaster Strudels for breakfast. This is the only time they get to eat Toaster Strudels. However, I try to keep them from getting stressed out about it. Mr. C gets himself very worked up over the whole thing. It isn't unusual for him to come home during testing week, throw some kind of random temper tantrum, and end up in bed asleep before dinner. This happened more than once this past spring. He's only 10!!! This is too much pressure at this age.

I could probably go on a lot longer, but there probably isn't anyone still reading.

No comments: