Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Perspective


Sometimes, usually after a glass of wine, but not always, I start to feel philosophical about life. My favorite paragraph ever written is the opening of Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. The last couple of lines go like this: Its [Cannery Row's] inhabitants are, as the man once said, "whores, pimps, gamblers, and sons of bitches, by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, "Saints and angels and martyrs and holy men," and he would have meant the same thing.

I'm not a great student of literature. I'm more self taught, but those lines to me mean that life is all about perspective. I think about that often when I find that I've been looking through the same peephole for too long. Lately my peephole has been that the glass is half empty. Mostly because I don't have a job and am not sure of my prospects for next year. Every morning I search the district website for openings that aren't there.

To add to this half empty cup is the fact that Hubby had to go for a sonogram on his neck today. I am hopeful that the doctor is just being overly cautious, but I keep running all the worst case scenarios through my mind. I'm trying to look through another peephole, but sometimes I think they are all plugged up.

No comments: