Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Grandpa


For my birthday last year my grandpa sent me a card and some money. I used the money to buy some impatiens and planted them under a big tree out back. Three days after my birthday, Grandpa died. All last summer the impatiens grew huge and everytime I looked out the window I thought about Grandpa. It was nice.

Last fall when the flowers died off it was sad. Fall is already my least favorite time of year--I hate the bare trees and the colder weather--but last fall I hated to see the daily reminder of Grandpa fade.

Tonight I was out working in the yard and saw two bright pink flowers under the tree. The impatiens are back. They are supposed to be annuals, but for some reason they are back. It is probably not some grand miracle, but rather a side effect of global warming or climate change. Whatever it is, it's nice to see the cheerful spot of color in the backyard and think about Grandpa.

No comments: