Friday, June 25, 2010

Sights Around Town


Since most people who might read this have probably never been here I thought I would occassionally put up some pictures of some sights around town.

First some background information about where we live. Our home is in a tiny town sitting across the river from another tiny town--we share a middle school on their side and a high school on our side. The tiny town across the river runs into a small city. It is hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. So really, we live across the river from a small city. Sometimes I say we live in that city because most people haven't heard of our town. Have I totally lost you?

Well, to get to the city we have to drive across the river on this bridge. At one point in time it was a two lane, two way road. Scary thought! Now it is one lane going into the city. To get back home we have to drive on the new two lane bridge which is higher up than the old bridge is tall. The transportation department just finished a million dollar study to find out that this old bridge needs to be replaced. Surprise! However, the state only had the million dollars for the study so there is no way to pay for the construction which is 16-20 million dollars.

Another interesting fact about the bridge is that "in the old days" it used to swivel to allow boats to pass. I have looked at it closely--as closely as you can while speeding over it--and I don't see how this was possible. But several long-time residents have told me about it, so I'm sure it's true.

No comments: