Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lent

It is almost the end of the first week of Lent. Most people give up certain foods or entertainment. In the past I've given up things like wine, chocolate, coke, and TV viewing. This year I decided to give up 15 minutes each day.

No, I have not single-handedly altered the rotation of the Earth or anything as dramatic. Instead I spend 15 minutes a day in my room, on my knees, praying. That might not sound like much to someone more devout than me, but let me tell you that 15 minutes can seem very long when faced with a meaningful conversation with God. What do I have to say that is so important that God needs to take the time to listen?

Of course I, as well as many of you, have been praying for those in Japan. Compared to the needs of those who are suffering so much, my needs seem pretty insignificant and not worth mentioning. But then I opened my Bible to a random page and found Ecclesiastes 5 (see picture at top of post or look here). I decided to stop and listen to what God had to say to me, instead of going through my grocery list of needs for him to fill for me.

What I realized is that each of our lives is important to God. The tragedy in Japan is huge and does deserve our full, prayful attention. But the problems in our own lives are just as important to God. He is so great and awesome that he can care just as much about the people in Japan who are suffering beyond my comprehension, as he does about my need to sell my house and get my small family back together under one roof.

Disclaimer: I am not an ordained pastor and hopefully I haven't offended anyone with my lay-preaching.

No comments: