Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Walk to School Day

Today is International Walk to School Day in the USA. I'm not sure if that means that only people in the USA are to walk to school, or people all over the world are to walk to school, or if Americans who may be going to school anywhere in the world are to walk to school.

Mr. C's school participated in the event. Since we live about 8 miles from his school (over a bridge and down a 5 lane highway) I drove him to the church parking lot that is 4 blocks from school and he walked the rest of the way. Most parents were dropping their kids off in the same parking lot. I'm not sure that really constitutes walking to school. There are no sidewalks in the neighborhood either, so everyone was walking in the street. Fortunately the police arrived to direct traffic.

When I was in elementary school everyone walked to school. We had neighborhood schools and of course I grew up in town. Hubby always rode the bus to school because he was a country boy. There are hardly any neighborhood schools left now. Everything is consolidated and encompasses such a huge area. I'm sure in some ways it saves money to have larger, and fewer, schools but I miss living in a neighborhood with sidewalks and kids walking to and from school. I must be getting old and nostalgic.

What are the girls up to? Here is a link to what's happening at their school. You might recognize one of the students mentioned under "Announcements". What you won't see is any reference to the big drug bust they had this week. One of them was the quarterback, who was expelled and arrested as an adult. I asked S if she knew any of the kids. She said No, she doesn't hang around any of those kind of people. Mostly the girls hang out with their friends from church. Yeah!!!

1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

I looked all through the pictures, but I didn't recognize anyone whom I recognized. (Notice the correct usage of "whom.") Then I read the announcements along the left side. I noticed a familiar name! I went back to the blog and read that the name would be in the announcements. Which is better: knowing the correct usage of "whom" or being able to comprehend what is read? Close call, huh?