Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Montgomery, Continued

I thought it would be easier to answer Lady Jane's questions with another post. The capital of the South was not Atlanta. See this plaque that is in one of the balcony rooms of the Capitol. I also found this on Wikipedia
Montgomery, Alabama served as the capital of the Confederate States of America from February 4 until May 29, 1861. The naming of Richmond, Virginia as the new capital took place on May 30, 1861. Shortly before the end of the war, the Confederate government evacuated Richmond, planning to relocate farther south. Little came of these plans before Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. Danville, Virginia, served as the last capital of the Confederate States of America, from April 3 to April 10, 1865.

Some other interesting facts that I have learned. Montgomery is the fifth capital of Alabama. St. Stephen's was the first capital (of the Alabama Territory). Huntsville was the first "state" capital. Cahaba was third and it had to be moved because of severe seasonal flooding. The representatives were known to enter the second floor meeting rooms by paddling canoes through the windows. The fourth capital was Tuscaloosa, followed byMontgomery. If you want to know more you can join us every afternoon from 2:15-2:45 at school.

Yes, those are all my kids! I see all of them at some point during the day.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thank you for the history lesson. The last refresher I had was reading "Gone With the Wind" last summer. :D

Lady Jane said...

Is your class presented by video conferencing? It sounds much more interesting than my Junior English class.

m.e. said...

I probably should know how to do that, but I am technologically challenged! I do have a quickcam. I think the 4th graders would drive you crazy.