Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mr. C Has a Busy Day


I woke Mr. C up a little before 8 this morning. This is Very Early for any of my kids to be up in the summer. But we had somewhere to be at 9: the orthodontist. Today was the day to get Mr. C's braces off. He's only worn them on his front 4 teeth for the past school year. Still it's exciting to see his big teeth again. And boy, does he have big teeth! I'm sure we'll be back for another set of braces in a few years, but hopefully we've avoided any major problems like S had when she was younger. (I consider losing a permanent front tooth a major problem.)

On the way home, Mr. C begged to go to Books-a-Million to buy The Odyssey. I convinced him we should try the library--much cheaper and you can give it back it you don't like it. We found the book and I had him try to read it. I explained that it was written a long time ago and is hard to read, like the KJV of the Bible. He looked at it and asked if there was a newer version of Homer, like the NIV Bible. The librarian found a children's version, but it's checked out. We got The McElderry Book of Greek Myths instead. He usually won't read picture books anymore, but he likes this one.

Last night we bought a Carolina jasmine vine and a trellis for it to climb up. When we got home from vacation, my Confederate jasmine had nearly taken over the deck. Mr. C thought that was awesome and wanted his own vine. He planted it out back today. See picture.

You're probably thinking, That kid is totally spoiled, his mom should tell him no sometimes. In case you weren't thinking that let me add one more detail. As I am standing here blogging and cooking spaghetti for dinner, Mr. C asked if he could have some chocolate ice cream. "Sure," I replied. What the hell is summer for if not eating ice cream whenever you want it? I promise to make him go to bed tonight. Maybe.

No comments: