Saturday, June 4, 2011

Night-time Visitor

We had this guy visiting our trees last night. He was easily as big as Mr. Socks. He would fly down and grab something off the ground and take it back up into the branches. Whatever it was would take him two bites to eat. He flew down a few times to get whatever it was out of the yard. The way the other  birds were yelling at him I wondered if he was eating baby birds that had fallen out of the nest.

Our neighbor boy came out and tried pelting him with a bb gun, until I let him know that we rather enjoyed having an owl on the premises. Then he tucked his gun under his arm and went back in his fence. Of course I don't want an owl around if he's going to eat other birds. But if he would go after the squirrels, he could stay forever. I guess I don't know what makes up the diet of an average owl.

1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

For two or three years--maybe longer, do you remember the owls coming to Granny and Grandpa's yard from the park? It was a real thrill. They probably came because of all the noise. We got a few pictures, but yours that you took is really good.

I'd let the owl eat some of the birds in my yard. Too many sparrows and grackels. I bet mourning doves are good targets--they scare me because they move so slowly!