Tuesday, June 21, 2011

More Owls

A common Barred Owl in our "tornado tree"--M has convinced Mr. C that the owls have come to deliver his Hogwarts invite
We have counted four owls in our trees at one time. They come every night at dusk. It is impossible for me to get a good picture in that lighting. I have tried to get movies as well, but they just look like black and gray blobs.

Currently I have my windows open and I can hear them screeching. At first there was a mockingbird joining in, but he couldn't hit the high notes, so he gave up and flew away. They are fun to watch fly. They are so fat that it is amazing they can get off the ground, much less float gracefully from tree to tree to housetop to telephone pole.

I watched two of them, who have been excitedly screeching at each other for about a half and hour, flap around on the same branch on top of each other. They are either making love or war. I'm not sure which, or if it makes a difference.

1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

I read an internet article on barred owls. Very interesting. The wing span is huge, they can be 17-24 inches in length--but they don't even weigh 2 pounds.

They will eat squirrels. Your wish may be granted.