Monday, January 17, 2011

A Return to Normalcy

Yippee!
Tomorrow we finally get to go back to school! Everyone is ready. This forced vacation was pretty stressful on everyone. Unlike our long, lazy summer vacation, this past week was gloomy and depressing. In the summer we know we're supposed to be out and enjoying ourselves. When you get a week off for snow, you just feel like you're missing something important and are anxious to get caught up.

On top of it all we had a holiday today. I think that MLK Day (or REL Day here in Alabama) falls at an awkward time even without figuring in the weather. You have a good long Christmas break and are ready to get back to work and then Bam...you get a short work week because of MLK Day. Then comes February, which you would think would fly by, with its shortage of days, but it lasts twice as long as any other month with its cold, overcast weather. I think that February is the "Month" of more stuff than any other month just because people want to make it less depressing and slow. (February is Heart Health Month, Dental Awareness Month, African-American Month, and I think it might even be Postal Workers Month--I know all this because I used to teach kindergarten and for some reason these were themes we had to touch on each February along with Valentine's Day and President's Day.)

Enough about February. For now I am just ecstatic that we are returning to a regular schedule tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

I don't know what MLK's parents were thinking when they gave birth to him on Jan. 15, 1929. Maybe they figured the post office could figure out a way to celebrate his birthday in August--not much going on then. (All said tongue-in-cheek) I had a great day off. First MLK Day off I can remember in years.