Friday, October 14, 2011

A Step Toward the Edge of the Nest

I'm strong, I'm confident, I can do this!
M will be leaving after school today to drive herself back to Alabama. She is going to visit friends this weekend and come home Sunday. We have practiced driving through town every day for the last week. She should know how and when to change lanes to get on the right interstates.

She has to go through the 75/24 split, then be careful as 24N merges onto her road, then make sure she is in the left lanes so she doesn't get dumped into downtown, and finally after rounding Lookout Mountain she will have to split off of 24 to catch 59S to Alabama. Leaving town is easier than coming home. When she comes back on Sunday she will have to make a quick two lane move to the right to get off at our exit. We practiced going up to another exit in case she can't get over in time. You have to be a little aggressive to make it and she is not aggressive at all.

Most 16 year olds would be completely ready for this by now. Unfortunately, M still hates to drive and only does it when forced. So I am understandably apprehensive about her taking this huge step.

Wherever you are, please be patient with all the other drivers on the road today.

2 comments:

Lady Jane said...

She reminds me of her Grandma O. Her grandma turned into a great driver even though it is not her favorite pastime.

m.e. said...

I posted a crazy, worried mom rant about M possibly being in a wreck. But then she called and was okay, so I deleted that post. I'm not very good at this whole "mom" thing.