Friday, August 27, 2010

Project Update

Mr. Socks sits on the grout haze--Bad Cat!!!
I was going to wait until we finished the floor to post pictures, but I changed my mind. I just finished the grouting on the area between the bar and backdoor. This is the most challenging part of the project because of the diagonal lines. Each piece had to be measured precisely.
Tiny details matter
A few tips for anyone who is considering putting down their own ceramic tile. Make sure you have the right tools. Although I don't have pictures of us actually working, we have put some money into getting the proper trowels, mixing utensils, sponges, floats, and a wet tile saw. I have also been using haze remover to clean up after grouting. You could use water, but the haze remover works after one application. Water tends to just spread the grout around. I learned to use rubber gloves as well. The mortar and grout really suck the moisture out of your hands.

Voila! The finished product

1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

It always amazes me what you are willing to attempt. I'd buy all the stuff to use and then let it all sit. Eventually I'd hire someone to do the work. Kudos to you. Lady Jane