Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day

Hubby took advantage of the Labor Day holiday to get a lot of work done on the floor. Our original plan was to finish by Labor Day. It looks like it will be Wednesday or Thursday. Still, not too bad. Hubby actually could have worked the three day weekend for overtime, all employees were given that option. It was tempting, but we really needed him here.

I was thinking about my own work-life. I have been fortunate to never "have" to work. So my attitude toward working is different than someone who is the breadwinner in a family. When I work, I feel productive and part of the bigger society. But I also feel guilty that I may be taking away a job that someone else "needs" in order to provide for a family. When I'm not working, I feel like a lazy leech, who is not pulling her own weight. It's a no-win situation for me.

I was also thinking about the economy this weekend. All the news is gloom and doom. Around here things are picking up, and some of our neighbors never even experienced a downturn. It can be a great national ecomony, with the stock market going up and all, but if you're out of work, then your personal economic outlook is horrible. Same thing if the nation is falling on hard times, but you've got more overtime than you know what to do with. It is really such a personal, case-by-case issue.

I hope that all those out there looking for work find it soon. And maybe next Labor Day more people will will be celebrating a day off work, instead of another day of searching for a job.

No comments: