Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Amazing Job #3


Me: Waiting for Amazing Job #3 to come along & tackling a little remodel

This is my final post in this mini-series looking back at the best jobs I've had. I have to skip over our time in South Carolina. M says that SC wasn't even an exit on the interstate of our lives, just a rest stop. Pretty accurate.

When we moved to our current home I was very belligerent about it. I still have a hard time saying where we live. It sounds like the punchline to a Jeff Foxworthy joke: You might be a redneck if, you live in ... As part of my protest I refused to get my teaching license here. Every other state we lived in I had dutifully filled out forms, paid fees, forwarded transcripts, and submitted fingerprints. Not happening this time.


After a few months of being home, I decided to apply for a teacher's aid position. Less stress and no license required. I didn't get the job. However, a few months later I received a phone call from a principal. She had a three month maternity leave for a 5th grade teacher and wanted me to come in for an interview. I had never heard of the school, but agreed. (She heard of me from the aid position I applied for at another school.) I was very impressed at my interview. Up until this point, I had been so disappointed in the schools here. They encouraged the children to check out early daily, didn't assign much homework, and didn't foster an atmosphere of learning as far as I could see. The school where I interviewed, and ultimately went to work, was different. I could tell right away that the principal, reading coach, and teachers were passionate about education. How refreshing! I transferred Mr. C over before I heard if I had the job or not.

In addition to the 5th grade assignment there was a 3rd grade maternity leave, so I spent the whole spring semester at that school. As with my other amazing jobs, the parent involvement was phenomenal. And anyone who has taught can tell you what a difference it makes when parents are actively involved. Furthermore, even though I was "only" a sub, the faculty embraced me and made me feel like a full-time teacher. I had so much support, without even having to ask for it.


The common thread shared by all these jobs is that I didn't go looking for them. They found me. I am not advocating sitting around on your butt, watching soaps and eating bon bons, and the perfect job will come knocking on your door. I have just had the good fortune that when I am simply living my life and not being overly concerned about working, amazing jobs have come into my life.  

No comments: