Thursday, July 30, 2015

Some Updates

Here are a few highlights of my room, which is almost ready.
The teacher table now has blue and green dry erase wall pops, which the students will use to practice writing sight words. The "bulletin board" is actually contact paper on the file cabinets. Last year I used fabric but it didn't stay put. Notice the white stripe on the wall. I painted that to cover bare concrete.
The library is now color-coordinated for fiction and non-fiction. The back door is going to be a bulletin board highlighting "Character Traits" vocabulary. When we read books, I'll put up pictures of the characters with a trait they represent. The first day we're reading "First Day Jitters" and the vocabulary word is "apprehensive". Other words they are supposed to know are confident, mischievous, clever, fickle...You get the idea. One thing that I still need for this corner is a huge tub to keep the Big Books in.
This is my listening library. I'm pretty proud of it. I have over 60 books so far and the blue basket on the shelf holds 6 mp3/headphones for the kids to use independently. Notice how all the cabinets and shelves are white? Madeleine painted them at the end of the school year while I was passing out report cards.
This is an overview of the room. I bought the little bookshelves this summer for them to keep their supplies on. I'm hoping that this will keep them organized and we won't lose/misplace notebooks and folders as much.
That wraps up the tour. Two weeks from today this will be my home for 10 months.

1 comment:

Jen said...

What a cheery room with playful nooks! Looks like an excellent home for 10 months!