Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Lunch Date

We had lunch in Knoxville with Madeleine and then she played the tour guide around campus and town.
This is the checkerboard pattern under the clock that UT is famous for.
I don't remember going up in the Sunsphere when we went to the 1982 World's Fair, but we went up today.
It is a lot bigger on the inside than it looks. (Kind of like the Tardis! haha) I think there are 4 floors, but only the first one is open to the public (for free!) on a daily basis. There are good views of the city and campus as well as the surrounding mountains. It is almost impossible to take pictures inside because of the lighting.
A little bit of trivia. The world's largest Rubics Cube is on permanent display in Knoxville. It turns by motor, but not in every direction and you can't touch it. When it was first placed, it worked like a regular Rubics Cube and you could touch it. It is a leftover from the World's Fair, although I don't remember it from then.

The only thing I remember from our trip there in 1982 is following another woman who looked like Mom from behind, until I realized I was lost from my family. I quickly found Granny and I think we were in the Chinese (or Japanese) pavilion. I also remember staying in our motel and Amy being excited by the beer commercials on TV. Ah, good times!

1 comment:

Scout Lady said...

I don't remember that much about the fair either except the terracotta soldier in the China pavilion. I also remember the motel for someone experiencing "ham in your hand."