Thursday, July 10, 2014

Summer Job

There are, admittedly, several mindless hours of pointless Netflix watching during my summers. But quite a bit of my time is spent doing school work. This summer I have cataloged countless books for my classroom library, written close to 100 guided reading lesson plans, spent many hours trolling the internet for storage baskets, bins, and boxes, read/ studied books on classroom management in the hopes of improving instruction in my classroom next year, attended the Math Best Practices workshop, and already started worrying about test scores for next year and how to improve them. I think I'm just feeling a bit defensive because of the general attitude and remarks that people make about teachers getting the summer "off".

4 comments:

Lady Jane said...

People who are not teachers and do not live in a household with a teacher cannot help being ignorant. If you let them bother you too much, then you cannot enjoy the time you so justly deserve. They will never know how much time you put into the job...nor do they actually care. Always enjoy the small benefits that come your way. Let your mind rest and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Jen said...

I wish there were a "Like" button for comments. I'd "Like" the heck out of Lady Jane's comment!

MAWG said...

Did you see this?
http://kylenebeers.com/blog/2012/08/20/why-i-hated-merediths-first-grade-teacher-an-open-letter-to-americas-teachers/

Confess I felt a lump in my throat.

m.e. said...

As a parent, that article brought a tear to my eye. As a teacher, I am always in awe of how important a role I have in these children's lives, and I take that responsibility very seriously. Thanks for sharing!