Monday, July 14, 2014

Doctors

Since I don't like to take sick days during the year, summer is the best time for me to go to a doctor. I always end up putting off making appointments and haven't been for any kind of check-up since 2006. [We do go to the dentist twice a year. :) ] This summer I decided to stop procrastinating and make an appointment. Partly because my insurance sent me a notice in the mail telling me that I'm getting old and should get things checked out, but in nicer words. I also have a small scaly spot on my shoulder that is probably nothing, but I thought it would be better to know for sure.

I have called two different doctors. The first didn't answer the phone and the second said they are accepting patients for next year. I take that as a sign from God that everything is A-OK. Plus, next time some idiot is going on about the evils of socialized medicine and how you'll have to wait eons to get an appointment, I can throw in my experience with un-social medicine where you can't even make an appointment.

1 comment:

Jen said...

A few years ago I applied for life insurance. As part of the process, someone came and performed a small physical and asked a bunch of questions. Later she told me I was under tall. So, feeling more than a little like Garfield, I ate an entire pan of lasagna after dessert. :)

I love and hate my doctor. (We all have annual physicals since our insurance covers one well visit. The kids always need them prior to going to summer camp.) Love him because he stays up to date and never forces medicine or tests on me. Hate him because he doesn't trust that I know my own body and can do research on my own. It takes an entire year to follow up on our debates.

This year I asked about BHRT to which he replied I wasn't exhibiting the one indicator he likes, while I explained at least 5-10 others that said that BHRT would be good for me right now. :/ More research, more symptoms and perhaps the one he's looking for will develop by May of next year.