Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Feelings on Homeschooling

Wow, two posts in one day! You can tell I'm trying to get out of some serious manual labor.

Earlier today I made a comment about homeschooling on my cousin's blog. Even though it wasn't meant to be offensive, I have a hard time knowing how my comments will be taken when they are written out, versus said face-to-face. The whole problem with this information/technology age we live in. Plus I don't do emoticons.
So here are my reasons for not homeschooling.

 1. My kids hate when I teach them. I had Smarty for an entire year of kindergarten. She and I were frequently in tears by the end of the day. She couldn't grasp the fact that she wasn't my special helper who could do whatever she felt like, whenever she felt like it. It was a nightmare!

 2. My kids don't believe anything I tell them/ won't do anything I tell them, but they do listen to other people.  If you've seen the Steve Martin version of Father of the Bride then think of the scene where Dad is trying to get Daughter to put on her jacket.
Dad: It's getting cold. Why don't you put on your jacket. Daughter: No, I'm okay. Dad: But you should wear a jacket. Daughter: I don't think I need one. Fiance: It is getting a little cool. Daughter: Really? Okay I'll get my jacket.
This is my kids.

3. I can not provide the social experiences my kids get at school. Not only are they exposed to the "good" people I approve of and would expose them to if I homeschooled, but they are also exposed to "bad" examples as well. Where else could they see first hand how some kid can mess up their life with drugs, alcohol, and sex. It's just not the same as reading a book about it or watching it on TV.

4. I can not provide the level of expertise that they need to prepare for college. My kids have 4-6 specialized, licensed teachers a semester who can, hopefully, challenge them and help them grow their minds. Yes there are loser teachers in there as well. But that is also a good learning experience for the kids: How to deal with idiots who are, for the present, in control of your destiny.

5. I don't want to spend all day with my kids. I get all day with them in the summer. I'm glad I'm home then and we get to do fun stuff together. That way I can always be "Mom" and not have to change hats with them. I think it would be extremely difficult to be "Mom" sometimes and "Teacher" at others. I know it was the year I taught S.
So those are the main reasons homeschooling isn't right for me. I know there are some people, bless their hearts, who choose to homeschool. And that is great for them. I am not saying one way is better than the other. Hopefully this doesn't offend too many people.

No comments: