Friday, July 26, 2013

Westminster Abbey

Westminster Abbey is one of the places I most wanted to see in London. So do most other visitors. We got up early to arrive a half hour before it opened to beat the worst of the crowds. Even then it was very crowded.
Photography is not allowed inside the Abbey, but the outside has some wonderful stonework that I can share. This is the western facade. The front (at the top of this post) faces north.
And this is a close up of some of the statues above the western door.
A nice clock.
The Deanery at Westminster Abbey. Here is a link that explains about it a bit.
A statue of Winston Churchill is across the plaza.
We spent about two hours touring the abbey. We saw the Coronation Chair, Poets Corner, tombs of several monarchs including Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Mary, Mary Queen of Scots, and King James, the nave, the Ladies Chapel, and so much more. We were even there for a brief prayer when everyone paused to listen to the priest and then back to our audio tours. I was especially wanting to see the Coronation Chair as I knew that we would soon be heading to Edinburgh where the Stone of Scone is kept with their crown jewels. Although I wasn't allowed to take a picture of that either, I'll tell more about it later.
As we were leaving we had to swim against the tide of everyone who was just arriving. I'm sure glad we got up early so we weren't in that mess!

No comments: