Saturday, October 19, 2013

Rowing, Take Two

Last year we became involved with the rowing community through M's sudden passion for the sport. This year we are back, only watching Mr. C instead. Last week was his first regatta. In typical boy fashion he got the information mixed up and thought he raced in the afternoon instead of in the morning. By the time I got to the boathouse, he was done. "Why didn't you call or text me?" I asked. "It never occured to me," was the response. UGG!
Today I woke up at 4:45am. We left at 6:30 for Huntsville, AL and I saw everything. Here are a few highlights.
Pulling away from the dock in the 4 as R watches on.This was his first race of the day. The course was shortened from 5K to about 4K.
Carrying the 8 down to the water. This boat is longer than a semi. Mr. C is only visible in this shot as the black feet at the very far left of the boat (in front of the lady in jean shorts).
Here they come around the bend.
And then they are off to the finish. I thought they looked great. Remember that they are just novices. All of them are 8th-10th graders (I think). If they stick with it they will be really good in a few years.

No comments: