Thursday, September 12, 2013

In Other News

If you're looking on here you probably want to know how life is going. So here are a few snapshots.
We went to Beaufort, South Carolina for Labor Day. (It is pronounced BU-fort in South Carolina, BO-fort in North Carolina) We found some promising properties but weren't sure if we'd fit in with the local demographics.
Back home, Mr. C is rowing this fall. He is much more blase about the whole experience than M was. A month from now we'll be starting the fall regattas and that will consume our lives for about a month. Sorry, no rowing pictures right now.
We studied the water cycle today!
My life revolves around school. Big surprise! I could bitch and moan for 1,000s of words about work. Let me just put in a few. Last year our school dropped from a score of 5 (the highest) to a 1 (the lowest) and now we are a "Watch School". This means TONS of paperwork, consultants in every week to observe, advise, and basically wreak havoc in our classrooms, very stringent rules about how to write up lesson plans (which I am totally thumbing my nose at and will probably get in HUGE trouble for at some point).
Post those public records and exemplar student work!
On top of that I am the grade level chair this year, I am co-leading the math and science cadre, I am the inclusion teacher for First Grade, I am required to attend all the district after-school literacy and math supplemental training sessions, and I have a child in my class who has been officially suspended twice already and sent home because of behavior issues countless times. And today was only Day 25 of 180. Lord, have mercy!
Would you look at that! I've been at school for almost 11 hours again today! I should send this to the smart ass teacher who made some comment to me last week about "some teachers put in more than 7 hours a day" when I was wondering when I was supposed to do some gargantuan task that had just been handed to me.
At least you'll know why I'm not updating very much this year.

1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

I'm surprised a teacher would say that. Usually the people out of education think that a teacher only has a seven hour day. Those of us who have been in the classroom know better. Before computers and all of the new technology, think how much more time a teacher might have had to put in. Hang in there and know that you are a great teacher. I've seen what you've done. Don't let some comments stifle your passion--and that also means some of your own!!