Saturday, April 21, 2018

Bookcases and Window Seat

When we first started this project, I sort of led Eric to believe that I was getting a plain square box to sit in and read. Then I mentioned the windows and he went for it, and was even excited by how nice they looked. The window seat was something else that I always envisioned having in here, but Eric didn't realize it until he had already put in electrical boxes. Maybe I forgot to tell him? I think I was afraid he would consider it too much extra work and cost.
I mentioned the bookcases pretty early on, but again it was after we started the project. In my mind, I had all this planned out ahead of time, but I fed it to Eric in baby steps and eventually got everything just the way I wanted it.

The little half-wall at the end of the window seat was a bit of a problem. Neither of us could figure how to connect the two pieces together and so Eric just built it in.

I actually would have been happy with much less substantial bookcases. However, once Eric gets started on a project he has to do it 110%. These shelves are not going anywhere and will not be easy for anyone who may want to remove them in the future.

The little details, like caulking every crevice, filling every hole and painting tops bottoms and sides of every shelf seemed to take forever!

Wow! I can't believe I have this in my home. It is so amazing!

Notice the bead board on the bottom of the window seat and below the bookshelf. This ties into our breakfast room and brings a little continuity to the house. I also have requested every window in the house receive this trim. Eric pieced it together with various trim and 1by material. I think it looks fantastic! The cushions aren't on the window seat because I was so excited to share the results that I took a picture while the paint was still wet. Next up, the floor...



1 comment:

Lady Jane said...

You have lots of room for knick knacks. You might have enough books to fill the shelves, but you need a bit more variety for interest. I have plenty of items you can use on those shelves! Ha! (But seriously, I do)